Monday, July 26, 2010

Bush’s Dishonest Tax Policies Come Back to Haunt Us

The front page of yesterday’s NYT ran a story about an ‘epic battle’ brewing over Bush’s temporary tax cuts. If you recall, the substantial tax cuts on income, dividends and capital gains that Bush introduced in 2001 and 2003 are due to expire by the end of this year.

It wasn’t too hard to see this fight coming. I for one was worried about Bush’s tax gimmickry from the beginning and questioned how easy it would be to allow these tax cuts to lapse. (see one of my past NYT column's for more) Now Bush’s temporary tax cuts are expected to take center stage in the political debate in the fall at a time when we can’t afford to be distracted by hoary old chestnuts like supply side economics and ‘the evils of big government.’ Instead, we need to focus on what matters most to our weak economy: allowing the government to spend on productive investments that will pay off for years.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading you book last week. I am a studio art student looking to go back to school for business management. I decided to begin my pre-b-school education with a reading list. My first book was your "Economics of Integrity." Thank you for writing it. The relation of factual material to human interaction makes key concepts easy to understand and apply.

    It was also inspiring to read about honest, earnest business practices. The articles that I read in the newspapers continually rely on the pizzazz of deceitful behavior for a high customer count. I tend to wonder if this is what people really need to hear. I think your message is more constructive.

    If you have any book recommendations for me I’d be happy to take them. Up next I’m reading “Discover Your Inner Economist” by Tyler Cowen and “Strength of the Unions” by Philip M. Dine.

    Thanks!
    Kristen Sorek

    http://ksorek.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoj Anicko, zdravim Vas! Reaguji sem na clanek, rozhovor, ktery vysel u nas V Cesku v Hospodarskych novinach (http://FinWeb.iHNed.cz/c1-46556250-civilizace-zvana-usa-upada). Tema me zajima, jsem, mimo jine take investor na burze (drobny :-), mam tady sveho mentora, starsiho zkuseneho ceskeho investora. Nechci k tematu diskutovat, jen jsem vas chtel pozdravit a podekovat za zajimave uvahy. Vase uvazovani o duvere v ekonomice, z ceho vznika a na cem muze upadat obsahuji vysoke procento lidskeho pohledu na vec. A to je podle me spravne. Z mnoha a mnoha duvodu. At se Vam dari, mejte se dobre. Zdravi Jiri Vapenik, Praha

    ReplyDelete