Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The power behind rules that enable activity

Try this thought experiment. Have you ever tried to stop doing some activity, say cutting down on eating junk or watching television? What happens when you make a rule that you won’t do something? It’s a safe bet that after a while you’re not all that successful and you end up breaking your own rule. That’s the problem with a lot of the rules we have in our social and economic system; even in our own households! We tend to set up systems where the rules tell us what not to do instead of what to do. Admittedly, it’s not always easy to create rules enabling activity when there are certain things that we want to make sure never happen—say murder for instance. Yet in many cases it can be done and simply requires a different way of thinking about the problem. For instance, if I want to cut down on junk food I might make a rule that I eat fruit for every snack or with every meal. Or that I’ll only eat nutritious or organic food. If I’m trying to cut down on television then maybe I’ll make a rule that I read a book a week. Next time you find yourself struggling not to do something, make a rule for doing something positive instead. It really can work to change behavior.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Anna,
    Sometimes we have to dispense with the rules. Normaly I use two personal perceptions: the logic and the intuition in all the life areas.
    Greeting from Barcelona,

    Josep MÂȘ Navarro.

    ReplyDelete